Skip to main content

Modern Racism, part one: LEARN + LISTEN

  On June 1st I quit my (brief) break from social media specifically to talk about racism. I was hardly unique in wanting to speak up against this; your feeds were probably flooded with similar content...as well as people dismissing those concerns or even blatantly mocking those of us who voiced them.

  My primary reason for getting online to say anything at all was this: God's Word has something to say about modern racism, and Christians should care what that is. No, nowhere in the Bible does it directly say, "Here's what to do in light of racial protests in 2020"- of course not. However, the overall teachings of God's Word do not fall short of helping us rightly navigate any part of our lives; it is SUFFICIENT FOR LIFE AND GODLINESS; and this includes instructing our foundational views of God, ourselves, others, and how we interact with oppression. Such as racism and police brutality. And (in case these happen to be your main concerns instead) rioting and looting, as well.

  Sin is not new, and neither is racism. Rather than be astonished at the presence of sin in this world, or personally offended by the suggestion of it, or worse still, DEFENSIVE, insisting that sin is not at play in our society, let us reason together on the common ground of God's Word. Let His Bible- our only source of steady truth- be the foundation on which we build our lives and beliefs, even if it means dismantling long or dearly-held beliefs of our own along the way. Let His Gospel- the one so many keep insisting we stick to INSTEAD of talking about racism, not realizing it needs to be APPLIED- be the lens through which we view everything, a lens that is truly corrective, leading us right thinking and righteous living for the glory of God.

  So here is the first in a series of Instagram and Facebook posts I made over the spring and summer, shared in the format with this extra context for clarity. I hope it's helpful.


   Two years ago, in the spring, I was pregnant with Everly and nauseous nearly every waking moment. Still, there was a book I read that made my stomach turn. The chapter that held descriptions of lynchings was more horrific and degrading than anything I had imagined; it was shocking to read about the violence and inhumanity of those who murdered another human being, publicly, often in broad daylight, without shame.

  This year, in the spring, I had three sweet white children safely asleep in our apartment, when I first heard about George Floyd. I didn't know. The video was more horrific and degrading than I had feared it would be; and I sat on our kitchen floor, my whole body tense, and sobbed as I watched a man lynched.

  In public.

  In broad daylight.

  Without shame.


  This year, it is 2020. Much is wrong in the world. And once again we find ourselves with horrifying, stomach-turning evidence that shows us that the sin of racism is not dead. It is alive and well. It thrives and seeks out power with which to commit evil against others. 


  You may insist that it goes with saying, that everyone agrees George Floyd was murdered, that his death was unjust. I am glad so many of us can agree on this clear truth.


  But there's much more that must be said about this. It is not a one-time case of one man being killed in the streets by one police officer. And while the problem of racism is found in the hearts of sinful people who desperately need Jesus, and the most powerful weapon against racism is absolutely to pray fervently and clearly share the Gospel, there is more we can do.


  And should do.


  So white friends, I'm talking to you now. We, specifically, as white people- we have work to do here. If you are a follower of Jesus, the reasons for our participation in this work is perhaps even more pressing, and I'll explain my reasoning on that in another post.


  White friends, please learn. Listen. Seek to understand. I cringe when I remember my pridefully self-assured viewpoints during the Ferguson protests; I am ashamed when I remember how my own experience (or lack thereof) as a young white woman was the only information I thought I needed to "understand" or pass judgment on a situation. It never occurred to me that I was lacking information, it never occurred to me to humble myself and learn. Praise God, He chose to mercifully correct me!! I was terribly wrong, terribly unloving, and lacking in compassion, and God has softened my heart. 


   Learn. Read a book by a black author- I recommend the honorable John M. Perkins. Who do you follow on social media? Any black voices? Instead of arguing against viewpoints you disagree with on Facebook, ask, "Will you please tell me more about why you said _____?" or, "Can we talk sometime soon so you can explain more about your views on this?" 


  If you are a believer, then by far the most important learning you have to do is in the Word of God. You may be confident, as I have been at times, that your beliefs absolutely line up with what the Bible teaches. And like I have been, you may be wrong.

  You'll find out through a lot of reading and praying. Sink in. Read the Old Testament. Read it's prophets and it's laws and spend time soaking your mind in the character of God. Read the New Testament. Read the words of the unimpressive man Who was (and is) God Himself in human form- Jesus.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pause Before You Post: Representing yourself responsibly and honestly online

  When I was about eleven years old I went to summer camp for the first time. Before my sister and I left, my mother talked to us about something. She explained that we needed to mindful of our behavior at camp, not only because it is important to be kind and respectful, but also because we would be a representation of both our family and Christ to the people around us. That stuck with me.   Now, with so many of us daily browsing and posting to social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and blogs such as this, our representation is no longer limited to the people we are around in person- it is far-reaching, even global at times. It is certainly a far more widespread representation of yourself to post on the internet than it is to say something in person; on the internet, the dozens or hundreds of people you are connected with may see it. That is an enormous audience.   I feel very strongly that we need to be mindful of that audience, of that representation,

Just another 2am

Every once in a while there is a night when I am up far too late (ok, that part is pretty frequent) and something just hits me in the gut. It is usually something that saddens me deeply. It is usually something out in the world that I have no control over, something that is wrong, something that I wish I could right. Tonight it is no large thing. There is no catastrophic tragedy weighing on my heart tonight. It is just little things. Two little things hurt tonight, inconsequential though they may be. The first is a poor choice of words. Someone referred to Christ's sacrifice as empathetic- it may be unintentional, or an attempt to put a new spin on the way we perceive Jesus, but there is no need for a new spin. "Empathetic" hardly does my Savior's perfect sacrifice justice. Empathy is passion, emotion. But the Bible says Jesus went to the cross because He LOVED us, and the Bible describes love as a choice. The perfect God of the universe CHOOSING to LOVE us in our
Dad: Is that one guy going to be there? Me: No, I don’t think so. Dad: Why not? Me: I don’t know. Maybe he’s working, maybe he doesn’t want to, maybe he’s secretly in another country. Dad: Well, I don’t think he’s in another country, I was just talking to his dad about him last week. Me: Exactly! His dad is trying to cover for him! He’s probably illegally importing ivory. He’s probably killing elephants in Africa as we speak. Dad: I think it’s dark in Africa right now. Me: Night is the perfect time to illegally kill elephants. Dad: You just spotlight them, huh? Me: Yep, and they freeze, just like deer. Dad: Oh, you have quite the imagination. My father and I talking on the phone