Skip to main content

Meanwhile, in real life...

  I just want to say...

  I realize that this season of our life, with a four-year-old and two-and-a-half-year-old, happens to feature lots of cute poses and lovely scenes of us sipping tea. My life, as seen on Instagram, looks pretty smooth. 


  In real life, it definitely doesn't always look like this. I don't share as much of the nitty-gritty parenting challenges now that my kids are getting older. I was happy to be transparent about the difficult side of being a parent of babies, and about the wild mood swings of toddlers and assorted misadventures. But as they grow, the "hard parts" get more complicated, and more weighty. I'm just not gonna share all my kid's sins with you; I want to protect their privacy in some of these things, out of love for them. 

  So yeah, I've become the mom who mainly just shares the cute pictures and the sweet adventures.

  I know, I don't love it either.

  But like I said, that's not how it is all the time, even in this season, and it definitely didn't look like this AT ALL in other seasons. 

  Mama's of babies, I see you. I remember the exhaustion so deep it hurts, and the days when nothing gets done (but really, you've actually done so much), and the wells of emotion that come with sleep deprivation, tiny baby fingers, and not remembering when you last took a shower... but also just wanting to stare at your beautiful child a little longer. I remember having forty dirty diapers in my house. We will be in that season again sometime, and I have not forgotten it in this season of a little bit more quiet and calm.

  This season we're in is not because I finally, suddenly, "figured it out"- I didn't break the secret code that enables moms to read books aloud over lunch without someone setting the house on fire. It's not my cleverness or determination or whatever. It's just a season- it arrived, so I am enjoying it while it's here, and winter is gonna come and turn this place into a madhouse. Seasons are not to my credit. They come according to God's timing, and they teach us, and then they change.

  I guess my point is- mama friends, it doesn't have to look like this. I'm not doing anything so cool, it's just where God has us right now. When you see us reading classics by candlelight here, if there's ever a twinge of "maybe I'm not doing enough" or "maybe I'm not good enough", feel free to scroll back through my memories to the times my kids gagged up food into my hands in line at Costco, or pooped on our friends floor, or screamed at everyone that made eye contact.


  Actually, I didn't post photos of any of that stuff. Because, like I said, I don't want to humiliate my children inadvertently. I am trying, I promise, to bear my own heart and struggles a bit more freely again. I'm having a hard time with it, but I'm trying.
  In the meantime, please know, I am not perfect and my kids are not perfect and my house is not perfect and our life is not perfect and nothing about me at all is even remotely perfect   
                             B  U  T   
                                       our God is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pause Before You Post: Representing yourself responsibly and honestly online

  When I was about eleven years old I went to summer camp for the first time. Before my sister and I left, my mother talked to us about something. She explained that we needed to mindful of our behavior at camp, not only because it is important to be kind and respectful, but also because we would be a representation of both our family and Christ to the people around us. That stuck with me.   Now, with so many of us daily browsing and posting to social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and blogs such as this, our representation is no longer limited to the people we are around in person- it is far-reaching, even global at times. It is certainly a far more widespread representation of yourself to post on the internet than it is to say something in person; on the internet, the dozens or hundreds of people you are connected with may see it. That is an enormous audience.   I feel very strongly that we need to be mindful of that audience, of that representation,

Just another 2am

Every once in a while there is a night when I am up far too late (ok, that part is pretty frequent) and something just hits me in the gut. It is usually something that saddens me deeply. It is usually something out in the world that I have no control over, something that is wrong, something that I wish I could right. Tonight it is no large thing. There is no catastrophic tragedy weighing on my heart tonight. It is just little things. Two little things hurt tonight, inconsequential though they may be. The first is a poor choice of words. Someone referred to Christ's sacrifice as empathetic- it may be unintentional, or an attempt to put a new spin on the way we perceive Jesus, but there is no need for a new spin. "Empathetic" hardly does my Savior's perfect sacrifice justice. Empathy is passion, emotion. But the Bible says Jesus went to the cross because He LOVED us, and the Bible describes love as a choice. The perfect God of the universe CHOOSING to LOVE us in our
Dad: Is that one guy going to be there? Me: No, I don’t think so. Dad: Why not? Me: I don’t know. Maybe he’s working, maybe he doesn’t want to, maybe he’s secretly in another country. Dad: Well, I don’t think he’s in another country, I was just talking to his dad about him last week. Me: Exactly! His dad is trying to cover for him! He’s probably illegally importing ivory. He’s probably killing elephants in Africa as we speak. Dad: I think it’s dark in Africa right now. Me: Night is the perfect time to illegally kill elephants. Dad: You just spotlight them, huh? Me: Yep, and they freeze, just like deer. Dad: Oh, you have quite the imagination. My father and I talking on the phone