Skip to main content

More about what a mess I am...


   This past Friday I went to my parents house. I sat on the couch beside my youngest brother, my mother sitting on the floor in front of me as my kids played around her, and we watched old home videos of when I was two and half years old and my sister Anna was ten months old. I was wild and loud- standing on furniture, dancing and stomping and singing, running around and swinging toys that inevitably hit Anna in the face. The living room was littered with toys, and a basket or two of laundry sat in the corner.

  It was like a photograph of my living room right now. And the kids, well, my children live from the same script- the same wild, the same loud, the same accidental injuries.

  I looked at my mama and said, "No wonder I call you when it seems like no one really gets it. You get it. You've lived it."

  But I think that, really, other people do understand my messy living room and how achingly exhausted I am by ten in the morning some days. But the people who do not get it- the people who smile and politely, gently push back against the honesty once in a while- it is really hard for me to get over that. Because when I get vulnerable and real (as I try to do on a regular basis) and admit that my kitchen is rarely clean, and then I'm told that women of the Lord work hard at home to keep a presentable living environment, it hurts. Not my feelings, exactly, but my heart.

  Let me explain.

  I've been really struggling lately with what we commonly refer to as "mom guilt." I didn't get it before, but oh, I get it now. For two weeks last month, every day, literally every single time I sat down I thought to myself, "I am being lazy and selfish. What should I be doing instead of this?" and then I stood up and wearily set about doing something. Our apartment was much, much cleaner than usual for those two weeks, because I spent almost all day cleaning it. I picked up the toys from the living floor a half a dozen times a day. I stayed up until absurd hours cleaning the kitchen and the bathroom. I was exhausted and detached and wracked with guilt, desperately and determinedly trying to prove to this voice in my head that I was indeed a good wife, a good mom, and a hardworking woman of God.

  Then all of the sudden, I actually heard the words I was saying to myself. So I sat down (oh luxury of luxuries!) and talked to my husband about it. And he looked me in the eye and told me, very seriously, to stop. He told me he didn't care if our apartment was never clean, he wanted me to rest. He wanted me to sit down, to play with our kids, to sleep, to eat lunch, to read my Bible. He told me that our kids need a joyful mother who has time for them more than they need an immaculate bedroom. He told me that he needed time with me more than he could ever care about a meal plan.

  And I was free.

  I pushed that voice out, slowly, until I stopped hearing it. First, I had to stop listening to it, and stop believing it. I had to remind myself instead of truth. I reminded myself that it is far higher on God's list for me that I worship Him, love my husband, and and love my kids than it is to keep a tidy home. I refocused on trying simply to do my job as wife and mother very, very well.

  God is glorified far more when I am content with my messy, glorious life than when I am constantly concerned with what others think of me. I really believe that He is glorified more when I lay on the floor surrounded by toy animals reading my Bible than He is by a toilet so clean you can use it as a punch bowl. God is glorified more when I am at peace and give my full attention to my husband at the end of the day so that I can invest fully in my most important human relationship than He ever could be by tasteful home decor. God is more glorified when I spend time getting to know who my children are as they grow than He ever is by a freshly-vacuumed carpet.

  Don't get me wrong. Obviously it's great to clean your toilet and turn the vacuum on once in a while. (Every day, even, if you get the chance.) But I made these things an idol, and I let them rule me. I berated myself and indulged by turn in guilt over the things I hadn't checked off my list and pride in the things that I had- and this, friends, was horribly wrong.

   Some people are great at keeping their priorities straight AND keeping their homes clean, and I genuinely think that's awesome! One of my best friends keep a really tidy home, which I truly admire. I also deeply appreciate the fact that she never judges me for the stacks of dishes on my counters, and that we're able to do real life together and love each other regardless of who's house is cleaner. That's how it should be.

  Some people, though, will look at my Instagram posts, or chat with me, or come over to our home, and they will think I am failing. They will think I am not doing enough. They will not get it.

  That's okay. They don't have to get it. I'm not living for them.

  I'm living for the glory of God.



  If you are the mom with the clean house that finds herself judging, or the mom with the messy house that finds herself fearing judgement, this is something I wrote a few months ago that may be helpful.
  Having just found it again myself, I wish that I had read it during those two weeks when I berated myself mercilessly. This just goes to show that even when we KNOW the truth, we are all susceptible to failure to live it out. Praise God that His grace is new for me every day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pause Before You Post: Representing yourself responsibly and honestly online

  When I was about eleven years old I went to summer camp for the first time. Before my sister and I left, my mother talked to us about something. She explained that we needed to mindful of our behavior at camp, not only because it is important to be kind and respectful, but also because we would be a representation of both our family and Christ to the people around us. That stuck with me.   Now, with so many of us daily browsing and posting to social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and blogs such as this, our representation is no longer limited to the people we are around in person- it is far-reaching, even global at times. It is certainly a far more widespread representation of yourself to post on the internet than it is to say something in person; on the internet, the dozens or hundreds of people you are connected with may see it. That is an enormous audience.   I feel very strongly that we need to be mindful of that audience, of that representation,

Just another 2am

Every once in a while there is a night when I am up far too late (ok, that part is pretty frequent) and something just hits me in the gut. It is usually something that saddens me deeply. It is usually something out in the world that I have no control over, something that is wrong, something that I wish I could right. Tonight it is no large thing. There is no catastrophic tragedy weighing on my heart tonight. It is just little things. Two little things hurt tonight, inconsequential though they may be. The first is a poor choice of words. Someone referred to Christ's sacrifice as empathetic- it may be unintentional, or an attempt to put a new spin on the way we perceive Jesus, but there is no need for a new spin. "Empathetic" hardly does my Savior's perfect sacrifice justice. Empathy is passion, emotion. But the Bible says Jesus went to the cross because He LOVED us, and the Bible describes love as a choice. The perfect God of the universe CHOOSING to LOVE us in our

Parenting Adventures: Already, I'm Wrong

  I lay in bed five days ago, staring up at the dark shapes that the shadows made on the ceiling. It was the fourth night since Judah had been born, and I was realizing something: Already, I am wrong.   Before our first child was born- this tiny blessing that we have had for just over a week now- I was certain of many things. I made plans. I confidently stated that our child would never co-sleep with my husband and I, because it was just too scary- and besides, we had a perfectly good cradle for him to sleep in instead. And yet now I found myself cuddled up beside the most precious human being I had ever seen, as he slept deeply (and safely) between Arthur and I in our bed.  Before he was born, I said I’d never give Judah formula. And while I am sticking with breastfeeding, I cannot deny the fact that at 4am three days into motherhood I cried and wanted to give up.     I have realized in these short nine days of Judah’s life that many of the things I was certain of before he was born