Skip to main content

Right Now


  Right now I am trying to keep my house relatively clean. I'm trying to tidy up before bed. It never feels super rewarding to pick up a million toys and do the dishes at the end of the day, but boy does it feel good to wake up to a clean (ish) house. I'm trying to clean my bathroom- like actually clean it, with soap and stuff- more than every six weeks.

  Right now I am trying to slowly transition to healthier, more natural alternatives rather than my usual myriad of toiletries. I'm trying out coconut oil as moisturiser and lotion. I'm contemplating making my own deodorant the next time I run out, even though it seems crazy to be one of those people who make their own deoderant

  Right now I am trying to get in the Word every day, even if only for a few minutes. And journal. Because writing helps me process, and sometimes I don't even see my own sin until it's on paper. Twenty minutes when my kid is sleeping makes a big difference in my walk with the Lord, it just takes an embarressingly large amount of self-discipline to choose that over watching a tv show half-asleep.

  Right now I am trying to get more vegetables in our diet, specifically greens. I'm trying to make salads a regular thing. I'm trying to temper our wheat and gluten intake a bit. I'm trying to cut out those last few holdout products that consist almost entirely of high fructose corn syrup.

  Right now I am trying to blog once a week, ish. Not because I am so important, but because it feels good to write. It feels good to be honest. And because quite frankly, I can't get coffee with every single one of you and share my heart, so this is my avenue for doing so.

  Right now I am trying- really, really trying- to have grace for others. Some weeks are more exhausting than others, and it is so hard sometimes to love my neighbor as myself. Like, really hard. Sometimes I'm just irritable and want to throw a pity party, but not invite anyone, because every single person is annoying. And the thing is, if EVERYONE is annoying, then the problem is clearly with me. So I'm trying to discern my own sinful attitudes, correct my own heart, and genuinely love others. This does not come naturally to me, but praise God for the work of the Holy Spirit in my life.

  Right now I am trying to slow down and really care for my child. I'm trying to stay in tune with his needs, to give him healthy food instead of letting him exist solely on string cheese, and to cut down screen time and read him that book for the billionth time instead- even though we both know that YES, at the end of the story the bear DOES GET HIS HAT BACK.

  Right now I am trying to be patient with my husband. I'm trying to pray for him more, to encourage him more, to be more sympathetic and understanding of the fact that when things weigh on his heart- good or bad- I need to be there for him. Since his work IS his ministry, it never really stays at the office. And that's okay. He is so faithful to serve me and love me, and I want to do a better job of making our home- and ME- a place of solace, of rest, and of refreshing encouragement.

  Right now I am trying to watch less TV, to eat less sugar, and to pretend to do yoga a little more often. Because even though my "yoga" is really just sitting on the floor doing stretches and sort-of practicing the deep breathing that I'll probably forget about when I'm in labor, it feels good to take of myself. I have to take care of my body.

  Right now I am trying to do a lot of things. This week I'm doing alright. Last week I was kind of a mess.

  The reality is, I am trying, and sometimes I am failing. And in a month, all of these things that I'm trying to do might be different. I will be different. My child will be different. Our family, and our ministry, and everything may well be different. So my goals and my strivings may change a bit too, but one thing will stay the same: My God.

  He is the constant. Living to glorify Him better is the constant. No matter how clean my bathroom is or is not, He is still Lord of my life. If we've cut out vegetables entirely and replaced them with Oreos, our God will still be good. He must be our focus, our greatest priority, our first love.

  Right now, I am here. Right now, my heart aches over certain things and rejoices in certain things, and everything feels a little vulnerable and unsteady, because I can feel changes coming but I'm not quite certain what they are. But my God isn't going anywhere. My own insecurities and failures are not too big for Him to handle, to root out of my heart, to replace with things that glorify Him.

  And next-month-Sarah will have her own set of failures, and it will be the same God Who is comforting and strengthening me today Who will root out those new failures in me tomorrow.

  He does not change like shifting shadows.

  "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, Who does not change like shifting shadows." 
  -James 1:17


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pause Before You Post: Representing yourself responsibly and honestly online

  When I was about eleven years old I went to summer camp for the first time. Before my sister and I left, my mother talked to us about something. She explained that we needed to mindful of our behavior at camp, not only because it is important to be kind and respectful, but also because we would be a representation of both our family and Christ to the people around us. That stuck with me.   Now, with so many of us daily browsing and posting to social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and blogs such as this, our representation is no longer limited to the people we are around in person- it is far-reaching, even global at times. It is certainly a far more widespread representation of yourself to post on the internet than it is to say something in person; on the internet, the dozens or hundreds of people you are connected with may see it. That is an enormous audience.   I feel very strongly that we need to be mindful of that audience, of that representation,

Just another 2am

Every once in a while there is a night when I am up far too late (ok, that part is pretty frequent) and something just hits me in the gut. It is usually something that saddens me deeply. It is usually something out in the world that I have no control over, something that is wrong, something that I wish I could right. Tonight it is no large thing. There is no catastrophic tragedy weighing on my heart tonight. It is just little things. Two little things hurt tonight, inconsequential though they may be. The first is a poor choice of words. Someone referred to Christ's sacrifice as empathetic- it may be unintentional, or an attempt to put a new spin on the way we perceive Jesus, but there is no need for a new spin. "Empathetic" hardly does my Savior's perfect sacrifice justice. Empathy is passion, emotion. But the Bible says Jesus went to the cross because He LOVED us, and the Bible describes love as a choice. The perfect God of the universe CHOOSING to LOVE us in our

Parenting Adventures: Already, I'm Wrong

  I lay in bed five days ago, staring up at the dark shapes that the shadows made on the ceiling. It was the fourth night since Judah had been born, and I was realizing something: Already, I am wrong.   Before our first child was born- this tiny blessing that we have had for just over a week now- I was certain of many things. I made plans. I confidently stated that our child would never co-sleep with my husband and I, because it was just too scary- and besides, we had a perfectly good cradle for him to sleep in instead. And yet now I found myself cuddled up beside the most precious human being I had ever seen, as he slept deeply (and safely) between Arthur and I in our bed.  Before he was born, I said I’d never give Judah formula. And while I am sticking with breastfeeding, I cannot deny the fact that at 4am three days into motherhood I cried and wanted to give up.     I have realized in these short nine days of Judah’s life that many of the things I was certain of before he was born