Skip to main content

The Places Where the Bus Won't Stop

  Almost two years ago my sister and I went on a ten-day Caribbean cruise. We saw a lot of beautiful places, but what I want to talk about for a moment for the places that were not so beautiful. The dirty places, the sad places, the broken places…the places where the bus won’t stop.


  Because we were traveling with my grandmother and her then-boyfriend, we didn’t go boogie boarding, scuba dive with sting rays, or go off-roading on four wheelers or anything like that. We went on lots of bus tours, which were air-conditioned, full of information, and relatively interesting most of the time. I always kept my sunglasses on in case I fell asleep, though.


  But the day we were in Costa Rica there was something different about the bus tour. As the bus driver wove his way quickly through city streets to get us to the scenic routes where he could point out incredible, enormous bird nests, I watched the streets below us. They were filthy, the sidewalks literally stacked with garbage and filth. A homeless man sat in the middle of it, staring into space, barely glancing at our bus as it passed as though he already knew we didn’t really care about him; as though as he already knew we wouldn’t stop.


  And of course we didn’t. No one on the bus had paid that much money to stop and talk to a homeless Costa Rican man, give him a few bucks, and share their love with him. They wanted to sip alcohol and eat fresh fruit in the shade while a live band played for them, as they waited for their boat ride down a river to view the sloths and howler monkeys.


  I don’t believe there is anything wrong with boat rides down muddy rivers to listen to wild holwer monkeys yell their words we can’t understand into the thick, hot air of the jungle. But I do believe there is something wrong with overlooking the homeless people on the street corners, sitting amongst garbage and dust, letting time and wealthy people pass them by because they know neither care what becomes of them.


  On that boat ride, once we got there, we passed house after house on prime, riverside properties. The nicest of these houses with water-front views were sheds compared the rather small,  hundred-and-some-year-old house my family currently lives in. We passed houses built of pieces of sheet metal. Tiny boats were tied to moors of old car tires lodged in the riverbank. The nicest houses had walls of stone or cement, with actual windows instead of just narrow gaps in the metal most houses were built of.


  But to the people that lived in those houses, they were not impoverished, they were not poor. Those were the NICE houses, the BIG houses, the houses for those who DO have money.


  What then does poverty look like? It looks like us.


  I think we are the poor ones. We who “don’t have the money” for the children that are starving literally to death as you read this, but who can always afford another coffee, burger, pair of shoes, or the newest cell phone- we are the poor. We are poor in love, poor in compassion, poor in generosity. We are rich in dollar bills that stain our pockets green, and poor in the qualities that would mark us as human.


  We don’t want to stop at street corners two feet thick in trash. We don’t have time, we say; we haven’t cash to spare, we say.


  I hope you don’t feel guilty when you read this. I hope you feel moved, inspired, and determined to love in new ways, to give with new abandon. But I don’t hope for a world full of feel who beat themselves up every time they go through the Starbucks drive-thru; I do hope for a world full of people who open their wallet for a homeless person or pull out their checkbook for a charity. I hope for a world full of people who will take the time to introduce themselves to the man at the bottom of the freeway exit ramp, who will pray for someone in a grocery store, who will hand their lunch to someone who needs it more.


  I often think I don’t have money. I work two part-time jobs, neither of which exactly pay a lot. My car is almost as old as I am, I don’t have designer clothes, and I have to watch how much I spend on food. But see… I have a job. I have a paycheck, and a car, and clothes, and food. These are the things that I HAVE. I am not in want.


  And so every time I think twice about giving, I HAVE to, because I never want my money to be so precious to me that I don’t want to give it away. Most families in this world live on two dollars a day- I am by no means poor in dollars, and I hope and pray that my riches will accumulate in the form of new love, compassion, and selfless-ness, not digits in my bank account.


  Think about the places where the bus won’t stop. Think about stopping there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pause Before You Post: Representing yourself responsibly and honestly online

  When I was about eleven years old I went to summer camp for the first time. Before my sister and I left, my mother talked to us about something. She explained that we needed to mindful of our behavior at camp, not only because it is important to be kind and respectful, but also because we would be a representation of both our family and Christ to the people around us. That stuck with me.   Now, with so many of us daily browsing and posting to social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and blogs such as this, our representation is no longer limited to the people we are around in person- it is far-reaching, even global at times. It is certainly a far more widespread representation of yourself to post on the internet than it is to say something in person; on the internet, the dozens or hundreds of people you are connected with may see it. That is an enormous audience.   I feel very strongly that we need to be mindful of that audience, of that representation,

Just another 2am

Every once in a while there is a night when I am up far too late (ok, that part is pretty frequent) and something just hits me in the gut. It is usually something that saddens me deeply. It is usually something out in the world that I have no control over, something that is wrong, something that I wish I could right. Tonight it is no large thing. There is no catastrophic tragedy weighing on my heart tonight. It is just little things. Two little things hurt tonight, inconsequential though they may be. The first is a poor choice of words. Someone referred to Christ's sacrifice as empathetic- it may be unintentional, or an attempt to put a new spin on the way we perceive Jesus, but there is no need for a new spin. "Empathetic" hardly does my Savior's perfect sacrifice justice. Empathy is passion, emotion. But the Bible says Jesus went to the cross because He LOVED us, and the Bible describes love as a choice. The perfect God of the universe CHOOSING to LOVE us in our

Parenting Adventures: Already, I'm Wrong

  I lay in bed five days ago, staring up at the dark shapes that the shadows made on the ceiling. It was the fourth night since Judah had been born, and I was realizing something: Already, I am wrong.   Before our first child was born- this tiny blessing that we have had for just over a week now- I was certain of many things. I made plans. I confidently stated that our child would never co-sleep with my husband and I, because it was just too scary- and besides, we had a perfectly good cradle for him to sleep in instead. And yet now I found myself cuddled up beside the most precious human being I had ever seen, as he slept deeply (and safely) between Arthur and I in our bed.  Before he was born, I said I’d never give Judah formula. And while I am sticking with breastfeeding, I cannot deny the fact that at 4am three days into motherhood I cried and wanted to give up.     I have realized in these short nine days of Judah’s life that many of the things I was certain of before he was born