Skip to main content

Misadventures in Eating

  In my first post about the adventurous life of raising a toddler, we learned about Judah's devotion to his baby sister Clara. We will now take a look at Judah's many food-related antics. Or rather, his food-related antics during the past week- to relate all of the hilarious things he's done while eating/trying to eat/wanting to eat/thinking about eating would fill the equivalent of a Russian novel.


  Act Two: Judah, misadventures involving hunger, food, and eating things. 

  Sometimes Judah gets hungry. By "sometimes" I mean "90% of his waking hours". Consequently he has learned to open the fridge, and often helps himself to it's contents.

  For example, if he's thirsty, he might accidentally dump the entire pitcher of water on the floor. He will then realize his mistake and try to clean it up by applying pressure to blot it up. Or, in toddler terms, stomping on it. But as he is not even two years old yet, he may forget to lay a towel down. So he essentially just goes puddle jumping on the soggy dining room carpet.

  Or if he wants eggs for breakfast, he might carefully take 11 eggs out of the egg carton and place them all on the kitchen floor. (He only broke two. Frankly, I'm impressed.) By the time I actually cook the eggs, eggs will no longer sound appetizing, perhaps because they've been on the flour-strewn kitchen floor.

  Why is there flour sprinkled across the kitchen floor, you ask? Well, we forgot to put it away, so naturally Judah grabbed a handful and brought it to me to ask if he could eat it. Because he loves to eat flour. Obviously.

  Occasionally he tries to motivate me to cook by emptying kitchen drawers and bringing me the contents. "So, you're bringing all the measuring cups and putting them on the bed?" "Yes."

  Often overheard in our home are snippets of conversation such as the following:

"What are you eating?"
"Cannels."
"Judah, don't eat candles."

"What's in your mouth?"
"Cork."
"Corks don't go in your mouth, you know that."

"Milk? Milk please?"
"That's chicken broth. Put that back in the fridge."

"Chih sau wings?"
"No, chicken sausage doesn't have wings."

  Once he finally gets his hands on some food (we feed him regularly, I swear) he likes to keep himself clean. Which is why he may carefully wipe pizza sauce off of his hands. On my white sheets. Sorry, I meant to say my formerly-white sheets.

  There are some things he's not allowed to have, and he knows that. Such as coffee. In which case he might settle for dumping my iced coffee all over the front of his shirt as we are literally about to walk out the door, rather than drinking it. Maybe he's hoping to absorb some of the caffeine through his skin. Because, as you can tell, he definitely needs more energy.

  Due to the fact that my toddler eats more than some adults, we go grocery shopping on a regular basis, but due to the fact that Judah has yet to understand the concept of purchasing things, he went ahead a took a bite of an orange that we had not yet paid for. And so we found ourselves in the checkout line smelling suspiciously of orange zest as my child chewed determinedly on the chunk of peel in his mouth.


  Are you impatiently waiting more tales of this crazy, adventurous life of mine? Don't worry.

  Next up: Act Three, in which Judah lives out the full crazy of toddlerhood


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuff I Wasn't Planning on Writing Today

At some point in the past few months my phone started notifying me of my Bible app's verse of the day. It was super annoying, because I'm prideful and I don't like to be helped or reminded- I can remember to read the Bible ON MY OWN, thank you very much. And, I don't want to read what cutesy verses you picked out, app, I'll go find something really amazing to read ON MY OWN. Get it? Hear me? I'm fine, on my own. Like I said, I am prideful. I would be more ashamed to admit it, except that I really want to make this clear: I AM SUCH A SINNER. I thought I'd been saying this, but maybe it hasn't been clear. My sin is like, all over the place. I sin every day. It's usually based in pride or selfishness. -BUT-   My sin is not the end of the story. God was merciful towards me, showed me my sin, and saved me. He has caused change in my heart and my life that I never could have accomplished on my own- and I know that with certainty, because I DID try on...

Modern Racism, part one: LEARN + LISTEN

  On June 1st I quit my (brief) break from social media specifically to talk about racism. I was hardly unique in wanting to speak up against this; your feeds were probably flooded with similar content...as well as people dismissing those concerns or even blatantly mocking those of us who voiced them.   My primary reason for getting online to say anything at all was this: God's Word has something to say about modern racism, and Christians should care what that is. No, nowhere in the Bible does it directly say, "Here's what to do in light of racial protests in 2020"- of course not. However, the overall teachings of God's Word do not fall short of helping us rightly navigate any part of our lives; it is SUFFICIENT FOR LIFE AND GODLINESS; and this includes instructing our foundational views of God, ourselves, others, and how we interact with oppression. Such as racism and police brutality. And (in case these happen to be your main concerns instead) rioting and lootin...

Pause Before You Post: Representing yourself responsibly and honestly online

  When I was about eleven years old I went to summer camp for the first time. Before my sister and I left, my mother talked to us about something. She explained that we needed to mindful of our behavior at camp, not only because it is important to be kind and respectful, but also because we would be a representation of both our family and Christ to the people around us. That stuck with me.   Now, with so many of us daily browsing and posting to social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and blogs such as this, our representation is no longer limited to the people we are around in person- it is far-reaching, even global at times. It is certainly a far more widespread representation of yourself to post on the internet than it is to say something in person; on the internet, the dozens or hundreds of people you are connected with may see it. That is an enormous audience.   I feel very strongly that we need to be mindful of that audience, of that re...