Skip to main content

Week 33: I'm only in this for the baby.

  People keep telling me to enjoy pregnancy while it lasts. I smile, I nod, but what I am really thinking is something more like this: Sure, I enjoy it as much as I can, but I want a lot of kids. I could be pregnant like EIGHT MORE TIMES. The miracle of life is great, but some of this just sucks, ok?
  Because it does. Sometimes pregnancy sucks. I don’t hate being pregnant, but I don’t always love it either. But guess what? I’m not pregnant for pregnancies sake. I haven’t longed for this time for years because I was super excited for killer nausea, having my hips decided to quit mid-step, and packing on weight all summer. Being pregnant is awesome because you get a baby at the end!
  The baby is the point. It is a blessing that God does not waste the waiting period that comes before the baby, and so pregnancy- in all it’s challenging glory- has brought with it many opportunities for growth and choosing to glorify God even when things suck. However when it is all said and done, in 6-8 more weeks we will have a baby.
  That’s what makes it worth it.  That’s what I thought about during the 3 or 4 months that I spent face down over the toilet bowl. That’s what I reminded myself of during the “Sarah looks super chubby but not at all pregnant” phase. That’s what I hung on to throughout that moment that would come every week or two where I felt like screaming, “What fresh new piece of torment is THIS? Seriously? THIS happens TOO?”  Every time I threw myself onto the bed (more and more gingerly over time…now I just kind of dramatically waddle-and-roll into bed) and moaned, “What is wrong with meeeee?” Arthur always gave me the same answer. He smiled and kissed my cheek and said, “You’re pregnant, and we get a baby after all of this.” And once in a while I would bury my face in a pillow and yell that the baby needed to give me a break because pregnancy sucks, but usually his reminder would force me to smile back and refocus on that: The tiny miracle that God has so graciously and generously blessed us with.
  So if you are pregnant and everything sucks, first of all, I’m sorry and I understand. More importantly, though, remember why this is worth it. Because it is, I promise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuff I Wasn't Planning on Writing Today

At some point in the past few months my phone started notifying me of my Bible app's verse of the day. It was super annoying, because I'm prideful and I don't like to be helped or reminded- I can remember to read the Bible ON MY OWN, thank you very much. And, I don't want to read what cutesy verses you picked out, app, I'll go find something really amazing to read ON MY OWN. Get it? Hear me? I'm fine, on my own. Like I said, I am prideful. I would be more ashamed to admit it, except that I really want to make this clear: I AM SUCH A SINNER. I thought I'd been saying this, but maybe it hasn't been clear. My sin is like, all over the place. I sin every day. It's usually based in pride or selfishness. -BUT-   My sin is not the end of the story. God was merciful towards me, showed me my sin, and saved me. He has caused change in my heart and my life that I never could have accomplished on my own- and I know that with certainty, because I DID try on...

Modern Racism, part one: LEARN + LISTEN

  On June 1st I quit my (brief) break from social media specifically to talk about racism. I was hardly unique in wanting to speak up against this; your feeds were probably flooded with similar content...as well as people dismissing those concerns or even blatantly mocking those of us who voiced them.   My primary reason for getting online to say anything at all was this: God's Word has something to say about modern racism, and Christians should care what that is. No, nowhere in the Bible does it directly say, "Here's what to do in light of racial protests in 2020"- of course not. However, the overall teachings of God's Word do not fall short of helping us rightly navigate any part of our lives; it is SUFFICIENT FOR LIFE AND GODLINESS; and this includes instructing our foundational views of God, ourselves, others, and how we interact with oppression. Such as racism and police brutality. And (in case these happen to be your main concerns instead) rioting and lootin...
I love you so much, and I am completely devoted to you, and I know that you’re the man God had for me to marry- BUT, even if none of that was true, there are still hundreds of good reasons for me to marry you. And this fudge is two of them. My eternal thankfulness when Arthur made me fudge