Skip to main content

  I was walking to the office. It was morning- a little cold out, but warm enough for shorts. I had just walked past him; we’d exchanged hello’s, nice-to-see-you’s, and goofy secret smiles.
  I really like you, and I really trust you. The thought was clear in my mind- and I squelched the nervous butterflies that were constantly in the pit of my stomach when I saw him, turned around, and said it aloud.
  “So I really like you and I really trust you.”
  He stopped and turned to face me, “You really trust me?”
  “Well, yeah.”
  For one of the first times in my life, being incredibly blunt had been difficult for me. But it felt like something that needed to be said, and even though I didn’t understand why, I said it. And now he was smiling again.
  Of course he already knew that I liked him. We’d already talked about that, and it was clear. But somehow after knowing him for only ten days, I wanted him to know that I also trusted him. I was trusting him with the fact that I cared about him, with my emotions- and that was terrifying. No guy I’d liked in the past had ever handled my heart with care. This man, however, I trusted.
  “I really like you, too,” he said. I knew that. His smile didn’t conceal the fact. “You’re amazing. I’m pretty sure you’re more than one-hundred percent amazing.”
  “How does that work?” I asked, indelicately taking the compliment.
  He shrugged, “I don’t know.”
  I smiled and turned around, starting back towards the office. But then I stopped again and turned to face him. The compliment, I realized, was after all not mine to receive.
  “You know what, I know,” I said, ”It’s completely because of God.”


  I am blessed enough to be in an amazing relationship with an absolutely incredible man. However the credit for that is in no way our own- we have a God Who loves us, and Who brilliantly orchestrated our lives to prepare us for each other and put us in one another’s paths. The fact that we met at all is not a coincidence, it is evidence to the gracious love of God. Anything and everything good about our relationship is thanks only to Him.
  I am so thankful not only for this man that I love, but also for the fact that we cannot talk about our relationship without pointing to how great our Father is. We are perfect for one another, and when people see that, they are amazed. I hope they are amazed not at us, but at God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuff I Wasn't Planning on Writing Today

At some point in the past few months my phone started notifying me of my Bible app's verse of the day. It was super annoying, because I'm prideful and I don't like to be helped or reminded- I can remember to read the Bible ON MY OWN, thank you very much. And, I don't want to read what cutesy verses you picked out, app, I'll go find something really amazing to read ON MY OWN. Get it? Hear me? I'm fine, on my own. Like I said, I am prideful. I would be more ashamed to admit it, except that I really want to make this clear: I AM SUCH A SINNER. I thought I'd been saying this, but maybe it hasn't been clear. My sin is like, all over the place. I sin every day. It's usually based in pride or selfishness. -BUT-   My sin is not the end of the story. God was merciful towards me, showed me my sin, and saved me. He has caused change in my heart and my life that I never could have accomplished on my own- and I know that with certainty, because I DID try on...

Modern Racism, part one: LEARN + LISTEN

  On June 1st I quit my (brief) break from social media specifically to talk about racism. I was hardly unique in wanting to speak up against this; your feeds were probably flooded with similar content...as well as people dismissing those concerns or even blatantly mocking those of us who voiced them.   My primary reason for getting online to say anything at all was this: God's Word has something to say about modern racism, and Christians should care what that is. No, nowhere in the Bible does it directly say, "Here's what to do in light of racial protests in 2020"- of course not. However, the overall teachings of God's Word do not fall short of helping us rightly navigate any part of our lives; it is SUFFICIENT FOR LIFE AND GODLINESS; and this includes instructing our foundational views of God, ourselves, others, and how we interact with oppression. Such as racism and police brutality. And (in case these happen to be your main concerns instead) rioting and lootin...
I love you so much, and I am completely devoted to you, and I know that you’re the man God had for me to marry- BUT, even if none of that was true, there are still hundreds of good reasons for me to marry you. And this fudge is two of them. My eternal thankfulness when Arthur made me fudge