Skip to main content

  The familar thump thump thump of rap music came from the car next to mine as I pulled up the red light.
  There were two guys in the car, both probably about my age- nineteen or twenty. The guy in the passenger seat sat there looking bored, but the driver- now, he was getting his cool on.
  For those of you who HAVEN’T tried to show off your hip-hop dance skills while sitting down, let me tell you, it doesn’t look easy. This young man had to keep his foot firmly on the brake lest he destroy the bumper of the car in front of him, while taking his hands off the wheel and gesturing broadly. Add in the fact that the white sweatshirt he was wearing was about two sizes too big for him, and he had to keep the hood of it placed just-so atop his billcap, and perhaps you can begin to understand the skill level required to dance while sitting at a red light.
  It was amusing, let’s just say that.
  I had just taken this all in when he turned and saw me watching him. I laughed, not intending to, but in that moment of him being caught in his silly attempt to be cool I couldn’t stop myself. And as soon as he saw me begin to smile as my laugh escaped, he laughed too, acknowledging that yes- we really are all just kids trying to be what we dreamed we’d be when we were younger.
  The light turned green, and we merged onto seperate lanes of the dark freeway, lit by streetlights and the stars in the windows of Seattle.
  And was nice to know as I drove home that there is someone else out there who tries to be what they once dreamt of being, yet knows that really…we are laughable. We are laughable in our attempts to be the greatest thing to walk the earth, when we have been born after Jesus and Ghandi and Mother Theresa and Paris Hilton and whomever else the world has deemed great. We are laughable in the roles we play, trying to fill shoes not meant to fit our feet- but it is good to laugh, good to laugh at ourselves, good to realize that we are still just children who desperately need a Father.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuff I Wasn't Planning on Writing Today

At some point in the past few months my phone started notifying me of my Bible app's verse of the day. It was super annoying, because I'm prideful and I don't like to be helped or reminded- I can remember to read the Bible ON MY OWN, thank you very much. And, I don't want to read what cutesy verses you picked out, app, I'll go find something really amazing to read ON MY OWN. Get it? Hear me? I'm fine, on my own. Like I said, I am prideful. I would be more ashamed to admit it, except that I really want to make this clear: I AM SUCH A SINNER. I thought I'd been saying this, but maybe it hasn't been clear. My sin is like, all over the place. I sin every day. It's usually based in pride or selfishness. -BUT-   My sin is not the end of the story. God was merciful towards me, showed me my sin, and saved me. He has caused change in my heart and my life that I never could have accomplished on my own- and I know that with certainty, because I DID try on...

Modern Racism, part one: LEARN + LISTEN

  On June 1st I quit my (brief) break from social media specifically to talk about racism. I was hardly unique in wanting to speak up against this; your feeds were probably flooded with similar content...as well as people dismissing those concerns or even blatantly mocking those of us who voiced them.   My primary reason for getting online to say anything at all was this: God's Word has something to say about modern racism, and Christians should care what that is. No, nowhere in the Bible does it directly say, "Here's what to do in light of racial protests in 2020"- of course not. However, the overall teachings of God's Word do not fall short of helping us rightly navigate any part of our lives; it is SUFFICIENT FOR LIFE AND GODLINESS; and this includes instructing our foundational views of God, ourselves, others, and how we interact with oppression. Such as racism and police brutality. And (in case these happen to be your main concerns instead) rioting and lootin...

Pause Before You Post: Representing yourself responsibly and honestly online

  When I was about eleven years old I went to summer camp for the first time. Before my sister and I left, my mother talked to us about something. She explained that we needed to mindful of our behavior at camp, not only because it is important to be kind and respectful, but also because we would be a representation of both our family and Christ to the people around us. That stuck with me.   Now, with so many of us daily browsing and posting to social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and blogs such as this, our representation is no longer limited to the people we are around in person- it is far-reaching, even global at times. It is certainly a far more widespread representation of yourself to post on the internet than it is to say something in person; on the internet, the dozens or hundreds of people you are connected with may see it. That is an enormous audience.   I feel very strongly that we need to be mindful of that audience, of that re...