Skip to main content

Mon ami, will you listen?

I know you’ve been hurt.
You’ve been let down.
I know you see other people finding love- or even just things that look like a semblance of love- and you want that for yourself as well.
I get that. I understand. I spent years standing in that place.
But taking matters into your own hands time after time and getting into a relationship simply because you CAN has proven to do nothing for you.
Remember how you’ve been hurt? Remember how you’ve been let down? Remember how it never seems to work out quite how you’d hoped it would, and you end up either pretending it never mattered or angry that it did?
Don’t do that again.
Don’t keep doing that over and over again.

You won’t find any real joy in a relationship until you stop trying to force God’s hand by jumping into things and hoping He’ll work it out.
Yes, God can do incredible make-overs on a persons soul.
But wait until after He does to date them, please.

See, I say all of this because I love you so much that it hurts to watch you toss your heart around time after time. It hurts me to watch you get hurt, and it hurts me even more so because you are doing it to yourself.
You are allowing yourself to be disappointed.
And then you give yourself sometimes a few months, sometimes a year or more to heal. And then you do it again.
And I watch it again, reminding you again why this isn’t safe, why this only damages your heart.
But you don’t seem to listen. Or if you do, you don’t hear me.
And that hurts too, my friend.

I love you. Please don’t keep doing this.
Please stop this cycle of disappointment and hurt and let your heart really heal, mended ONLY by your Father’s love. Please deal with the real hurts and real longing for love and acceptance that are rooted much deeper than these shallow relationships.
Please take a long, hard look at what is truly important in a man and whether or not it will be worth it to never settle for less. I can promise you that it will hurt, and it will be hard, but that it is worth it- but you have to decide that for yourself.

I love you.
I want the best man in the world for you. I want a strong, healthy, God-honoring relationship for you.
And I want you to want all of that for yourself as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuff I Wasn't Planning on Writing Today

At some point in the past few months my phone started notifying me of my Bible app's verse of the day. It was super annoying, because I'm prideful and I don't like to be helped or reminded- I can remember to read the Bible ON MY OWN, thank you very much. And, I don't want to read what cutesy verses you picked out, app, I'll go find something really amazing to read ON MY OWN. Get it? Hear me? I'm fine, on my own. Like I said, I am prideful. I would be more ashamed to admit it, except that I really want to make this clear: I AM SUCH A SINNER. I thought I'd been saying this, but maybe it hasn't been clear. My sin is like, all over the place. I sin every day. It's usually based in pride or selfishness. -BUT-   My sin is not the end of the story. God was merciful towards me, showed me my sin, and saved me. He has caused change in my heart and my life that I never could have accomplished on my own- and I know that with certainty, because I DID try on...

Modern Racism, part one: LEARN + LISTEN

  On June 1st I quit my (brief) break from social media specifically to talk about racism. I was hardly unique in wanting to speak up against this; your feeds were probably flooded with similar content...as well as people dismissing those concerns or even blatantly mocking those of us who voiced them.   My primary reason for getting online to say anything at all was this: God's Word has something to say about modern racism, and Christians should care what that is. No, nowhere in the Bible does it directly say, "Here's what to do in light of racial protests in 2020"- of course not. However, the overall teachings of God's Word do not fall short of helping us rightly navigate any part of our lives; it is SUFFICIENT FOR LIFE AND GODLINESS; and this includes instructing our foundational views of God, ourselves, others, and how we interact with oppression. Such as racism and police brutality. And (in case these happen to be your main concerns instead) rioting and lootin...

Pause Before You Post: Representing yourself responsibly and honestly online

  When I was about eleven years old I went to summer camp for the first time. Before my sister and I left, my mother talked to us about something. She explained that we needed to mindful of our behavior at camp, not only because it is important to be kind and respectful, but also because we would be a representation of both our family and Christ to the people around us. That stuck with me.   Now, with so many of us daily browsing and posting to social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, and blogs such as this, our representation is no longer limited to the people we are around in person- it is far-reaching, even global at times. It is certainly a far more widespread representation of yourself to post on the internet than it is to say something in person; on the internet, the dozens or hundreds of people you are connected with may see it. That is an enormous audience.   I feel very strongly that we need to be mindful of that audience, of that re...